Friday, August 29, 2014

Vive la France!

   We are now solidly in our fourth block, classical cuisine, where we explore the dishes of France, Spain, and Italy.  Along with some of the world's best foods, we learn about wines in these regions.  Yup, we imbibe the wines, unless you are under the drinking age.  Two poor kids have to use the spittoon.
    Thus we begin with France.  We tasted wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Loire, as well as some from California, Oregon, and Washington for comparison.  I have never tried a good bottle of Bordeaux and was anxious to taste this much touted wine.  Unfortunately it had not aged enough to fully develop the complexity that is the hallmark of Bordeaux.  It left me a little disappointed.  But I vow to keep trying, in the name of education of course.
     As far as cooking, we have been busy making such beloved French haute cuisine as foie gras, escargot, boeuf bourguignon, frog legs, as well as the daily baguette.  I am beginning to feel like a "fat duck" myself, waiting to be consumed by someone higher up in the food chain.
     The French I took in high school is finally proving to be useful.  Our chef has us taking turns reading the overhead during lecture.  The butchering of French pronunciation makes me cringe.  I'm not sure how our chef can tolerate it either as he is from Peru and speaks Spanish and French.
     My goal during this block is to perfect my techniques, make more sauces, and elevate my plating.  
Sole Normande

Moules a la Normandie

Redwine Poached Pears

Ratatouille

Salade Nicoise

French Madeleines

Bouillabaisse

No comments:

Post a Comment