Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Good Place

   I have come to a lull in my culinary education where the pace isn't as hectic, the instructor is better, and I am more confident in my abilities.  It has been hard to find the motivation to go to class some days.  The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that I am the last person in my class with perfect attendance.  I am loathe to give up that title unless I have a damn good reason.  
    One more person has dropped out of my class.  From the original 16, we now have 10, on a good day.  Most days we have less than that, which is ok by me since that means the rest of us get to cook more.  Except, however, when someone on my team isn't prepared.  Then it's like doing my job and theirs.  
     For China day,  I started a dough for Char Siu Bao, made a sauce for scallion pancakes, steamed a trout with scallions, ginger, and shitake mushrooms, and made a peach jam with seasonal Palisade peaches.  Someone's magnanimous dad donated a box of the fragrant stone fruit. It was more than what was on the original menu, but it was good to push ourselves and see what we could accomplish.  I am chagrined to admit I have never made these Chinese dishes, but am excited to try them at home.  Below are some of the dishes I've made:
Vegetarian Indian Plate


Filipino lumpia with sweet chili sauce, satay chicken with Indonesian peanut sauce

Korean gyeran bbang, a mildly sweet quick break baked with an egg and bacon

Korean scallion pancakes with soy ginger dipping sauce

Chinese steamed ginger & scallion whole trout

Chinese wonton soup

Fried wontons
Vietnamese Pho beef noodle soup


No comments:

Post a Comment