Sunday, August 3, 2014

Around the World in 30 Days

     So far, we have made Russian Borscht, German Bratwurst, Hungarian Goulash, Moroccan Tagine, Indian Tandoori chicken, and Filipino Lumpia, amongst other vibrant and exotic dishes.  Next week, on to the orient!  
   A small group of us toured the farmer's market in Boulder with our chef one evening where we were introduced to gorgeous peppers, beets, squashes, beans, and the sexiest tomatoes I have ever laid eyes on!   I promptly purchased a fresh bunch of sweet basil to make a margherita pizza for dinner.  Delicious!
   It's hard to believe we are more than half way through the program.  This block has really flown by.  We have already had our midterms and midterm practical, which were, thankfully, much less stressful than previous practicals.  I think I am becoming more confident in my abilities, although I am by no means proficient.  The practical was interesting in that the ingredients were not revealed to us until the day before.  There is no recipe to follow.  Each person makes what they deem the best representation of their skill and creativity at this point.  We were given shrimp and bass and a variety of summer produce from which we were to execute an appetizer and an entree.
     For the appetizer, I made a chilled butternut and yellow squash soup garnished with a sautéed squash blossom.  My entree was a seasoned, sautéed, skin-on bass filet with a tomato coulis and basil herb oil accompanied by summer squash stuffed with creamy polenta, shrimp, squash, and summer corn kernels.  Even though I was docked points for not presenting the skin side up, I thought we all made beautiful and unique dishes.
One Sexy Tomato

Chilled Squash Soup with Squash Blossom

Sauteed Bass with stuffed Squash


German Bratworst with picked onion and sauerkraut

Russian Borscht with pickled beet chip
  

No comments:

Post a Comment