Saturday, August 30, 2014

5280 Restaurant Week: Coohill's

     The much anticipated 5280 Restaurant Week is now really a week, once in August, then again in February.  The historical 2 week stint in February proved to be too much for the already weary participating restaurant staff.  This is my favorite time of the year.  For $30 a person, you can enjoy a three to four course meal at some of  Denver's best restaurants.
     Since we are studying French and Italian cuisines in school, I chose a French based restaurant, Coohills, as well as an Italian based restaurant, Barolo (more to come later).  Both were exceptional beyond my expectations.  
    Coohills is a restaurant that I had not visited but was on my list.  It is a gorgeously expansive space with large floor to ceiling windows allowing a view of the Platte river and Pepsi Center.  I am envious of the massive and shiny open kitchen.  The service was attentive without being obsequious.  I enjoyed playing with the I Pad wine list.  They have a white Burgundy by the glass which was quite good.  French Chardonnay is not nearly as buttery as Californian, which I appreciate.  I also tried a lovely Bordeaux that was full bodied and complex as a Bordeaux should be.  
     The restaurant week menu had a couple options under each of the first two courses, so Don and I each chose a different item so that we can try as many dishes as possible.  While waiting for our first course, a charmingly knobby baguette arrived freshly baked from the oven with a truffle butter spread on a reclaimed oak wine barrel slab.  When the staff asked if we wanted more bread, I said no, just the butter.  It was that wonderful.  
     The first courses arrived promptly and was pleasing to the eye as well as the palate.  My escargots, although devoid of their esthetic shells, were tender with a mild terroir.  They come from a local purveyor out of Larkspur, Colorado.  You can't get any fresher than that.  They nestled atop a summer sweet tomato compote.  The sous vide egg with grilled cauliflower salad was gorgeously plated.  The egg cooked perfectly and the creamy yolk ran when pierced adding richness to the dish.
     Our entrees were also promptly delivered and arrived hot.  My salmon was crisply seared and tender on a bed of potato hash and pickled vegetables.  Don's chicken ballantine was tender and juicy and left us craving for more.   The potato puree was ever so slightly runny.  I was amazed at the pristine plating and presentation throughout the meal.  They definitely pay attention to details.
     We finished the meal with a tri melon and chantilly cloud dessert that was surprisingly satisfying for fruit.  The pastry chef froze some of the chantilly cream and toasted the graham cracker dust so that you had a variation in texture.   We will definitely be going back to Coohills for more.
Escargot

SousVide Egg with Cauliflower

Salmon

Chicken Ballotine

Dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment