Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Surprise Basket Practical

     We had our final practical in Regional Cuisine today and I rocked it!  I finally feel like a chef!  Don't get me wrong, I know I have much to learn.  What I mean is that, for the first time since starting culinary school, I feel I have a chance at becoming a good cook.  Even though I am not the best cook, I feel I am the most improved.  The greatest compliment is when my classmates, who are pretty discerning, devour my food, with sauce on their face.  Two of them fought over my entree.  Good thing I made two plates!  
     Our practical is a mystery basket; we did not know what produce, starch, or proteins we would be given to work with. Luckily, we got shrimp and pork tenderloin.  I decided to make an appetizer with the shrimp as the focus.  The prawns were substantial in size and beautiful.  I butterflied them and soaked them in buttermilk.  Then I seasoned and dredged them in cornstarch and deep fried them.  I made a sweet and spicy chili mayonnaise to toss them in.  The result was a crunchy sweet delight.  
     For the entree, I cubed pork tenderloin, dredged them in flour and paprika, seared the pork in a rondo with onions and garlic and deglazed with red wine.  I then braised the pork with lamb stock, adding more paprika and a little cayenne and Worcestershire sauce and cooked it until tender.  It was finished with sour cream and served atop hand cut buttered noodles and sautéed chard with lardons, Mission figs, and roasted hazelnuts.  Delicious!
Sweet Chili Shrimp Appetizer

Pork Paprikash with Handcut Pasta and sautéed Chard


No comments:

Post a Comment