Monday, August 18, 2014

Everyday Gourmet

     Now that I am in the know about all things culinary, I have been applying that knowledge to my home cooking.
     One night I made pizza dough with bread flour and baked it on a pizza stone.  In case you are wondering, bread flour does make a difference.  It has more protein than all purpose which provides the structure you need for crusty bread.  I topped the pizza with a basil oil, heirloom tomatoes, basil, and fresh buffalo mozzarella.  I served it with a roasted golden beet arugula salad with a red wine vinaigrette as well as roasted organic carrots.  Halfway through the meal, I realized that everything was made from scratch except for the mozzarella.  I even chilled the salad plates before plating!  This would not have happened 6 months ago.  
     Don has also absorbed some of my newfound culinary tendencies.  See the beautiful quadrillage marks on the steak he grilled below.   
     Recently, we had a lovely home cooked dinner with some foodie friends.  They served a tender flank steak with ratatouille and grilled polenta.   We cleansed our palate with a summer greens salad.  For dessert, we had cherry clafoutis with mascarpone cheese, which is a French skillet cake.  I was very impressed with this "casual" meal.  
     All this cooking and eating has made me one of those folks who take pictures of their food, whether at home or at a restaurant.
  

One Sexy Mater

More Sexy Produce from the Boulder Farmer's Market.

Albert House Made Margherita Pizza

Roasted Organic Carrots

One of Our Weekday Meals

Behold the Quadrillage Marks!
  
Flank Steak, Ratatouille, and Polenta Cake 

That is a great plate for this salad

Clafoutis with Mascarpone cheese, the best of France and Italy!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment