Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What I Learned From School

      I learned a ton in culinary school, and not just about cooking.  I now know what to do with a grocery cart full of food, but I am still not in love with cooking.  I much prefer eating.  Cooking is not an enjoyable leisure for a perfectionist/control freak.  But, now that I know so much, it's harder to eat out.  Most places are not up to par.
     I also learned that my passion is not so much food, but learning itself.  I could go to school indefinitely.  I once saw a bumper sticker that said, "A True Scholar Never Graduates".  I love that.  Part of my fondness for learning is being surrounded by young people.  They infuse me with youthful energy.  Maybe I just haven't grown up.
     Additionally, I find that I truly enjoy writing.  I have embraced the creative process.  Similar to painting or other art forms, I have learned that there is no limit to editing.   Having no professional or amateur writing background, I am thrilled to have a small following of readers.  I am eternally grateful for their support and encouragement.  Having a culinary education definitely makes me feel more qualified to write about food.
     Another epiphany I have had is that despite earning a quarter of my customary income, I am happier than ever. I was somewhat misanthropic in the past, but find I am less antisocial than I thought.  I realize I have a great life.  When I see my friends working double shifts every day at two restaurants, I cannot complain. 
     If you were to ask how the overall experience of culinary school was, I would say, "It wasn't fun but I enjoyed the challenge".

    

No comments:

Post a Comment