Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Restaurant Review: CB Grille, Copper Mountain, CO

     The Covered Bridge/CB Grille has been one of our staple restaurants since we purchased our condo in 2008.  It's the "finest" dining experience at Copper Mountain but not so stuffy that a family with children can't dine here.   After a day pounding the powder, I always crave a juicy steak.  The CB Grille has always delivered.
     Our first day of skiing this year was the day after Christmas.  There was abundant powder, so all day I was thinking about my steak dinner.  I have learned to make reservations even if you walk in and there are empty tables; they are usually already reserved.   We started by ordering our cocktails.  By the way, they have a nice extended bar, so it is an option if the dining room is full.  I ordered a hot buttered rum and Don chose the classic gin martini.  Both were delicious but I wish mine was just a little hotter.
     We have never ordered the calamari appetizer and decided to give it a try.  After sampling the perfectly crisped dish at Zucca during my externship, I was craving some squid.  Unfortunately, I will never order this starter from CB Grille again, unless they do some major remodeling.  The heap of fried cephalopods arrived somewhat lacking in color.  Imagine my disappointment as I bit into a leathery, soggy, flavorless piece.  I dipped a piece into the trite cocktail sauce hoping this might help.  It didn't.  I answered honestly when the server inquired about the dish.   If we weren't so hungry, I would have sent the plate back.  Note to the restaurant: if the moniker of the dish is "Crispy" Calamari, please deliver or change the name.
     Hoping the Bridge Greens salad would prove the calamari an anomaly, I breathed a sigh of relief upon its delivery.  The salad greens were fresh and the garnish bright and artfully arranged;however, neither of us could taste much dressing.  
    At this point I became nervous about my entree selection.  I ordered the steak and fries.  The steak was described as a shoulder steak, which I thought would impart more flavor than the tenderloin; however, now I feared it may be tougher than shoe leather.  Thankfully, the steak was cooked medium rare to my specifications, juicy and full of flavor.  The sautéed spinach and shoe string fries delivered as well.  The baby carrots had nice grill marks and were tender and sweet.  Don's buffalo meatloaf was presented beautifully and well cooked.  The horseradish mashed potatoes gave the ubiquitous side dish more oomph.  He did not eat the fried onion garnish.  I can only imagine this was due to lack of crispiness.
    Ever the thorough reviewer, I always end with dessert.  After perusing the list, we settled on the bread pudding.  It was serviceable, but I would have liked a contrasting crunchy element.  Maybe some toasted nuts.  I understand bread pudding is supposed to be mushy, but I have seen many presented more appetizingly.
     Overall, I will return to CB Grille, but definitely stick to the tried and true: steak!
     Please note that the restaurant is only open for dinner and the menu has changed from the website.
Calamari Appetizer


Bridge Greens


Steak and Fries

Buffalo Meatloaf

Bread Pudding
 

No comments:

Post a Comment