Friday, December 12, 2014

Small Victories

     I am now half way into my externship.  I discovered why chef was coddling me that first week.  Apparently the last two externs injured themselves immediately on the first day.  One cut their hand while reaching into a robot coupe (food processor) without turning it off first.  The other was a knife cut injury.  So far, I have survived the meat slicer, the industrial sized immersion blender, and a knife fight with the acorn squash.  Chef is impressed I haven't cut myself.  
     I did get moved up to help with the garde manger or pantry station where appetizers, salads, and desserts are made.   It's fun working on the line.  It gets hectic but the time flies.  I doubt if I will move up to the grill or sauté stations before the end of my externship, but I'll do as much as they let me.        
     The days have become pretty routine.  On Mondays, I make the sauces: Alfredo, Marinara, Bolognese.  I can now carry a stock pot full of gallons of hot liquid.  Everyday I am there, I make pasta: either squash tortellini, crab ravioli, fettuccine, tagliatelle or a combination.  The sous chef made a point of showing me how well my pasta cooks up; how the color is the perfect shade of yellow.  Ladies and gentleman, I can rock out some pasta.
     Something unexpected has happened; l no longer get hungry at work and my body doesn't hurt as much.  I don't run as fast these days, and the day after working in the kitchen feels like the day after boot camp, but each day gets easier.      
     
Leaning Tower of Pasta
Garde Manger Antipasti
Misto Salad

Chocolate Torte

Tiramisu

Zabaglione (Italian donuts)

No comments:

Post a Comment