Monday, May 26, 2014

Sunny Side Up or Over Easy

     Our new chef instructor is delightful!  He laughs, a lot.  I don't think he ever gets mad.  I mistakenly used some eggs which were a gift for the pastry chef and expected a verbal beating.  Nothing.  He even printed out attitude cards with the Buddha on the back.  A good attitude trumps anything: skill, knowledge, background, even experience.  I love it.  It's a refreshing change.  His teaching style is such that he challenges you to elevate a dish rather than telling you.  
    Last week we began by making eggs, a dozen ways, or practically.  We started with Sunny Side Up, proceeded to Over Easy, poached, scrambled, then an American Omelette versus a French omelette.  I exceeded my American Heart Association weekly egg consumption recommendation in one morning.  I heard the record was 22 eggs eaten by one student.  The thought makes my arteries harden.
    We progressed to other breakfast foods to include sweet and savory crepes, French toast, scones, frittata, quiche, biscuits and gravy, breakfast meats, granola, danishes, and even fruit platters resulting in a grand breakfast buffet to rival any fine dining establishment.  We even made 4 different flavors of Aqua Fresca (refreshing fruit water), coffee and tea.  We had white table cloths and napkins as well as stemware (set an inch from the edge of the table).  It was a beautiful smorgasbord   Next time, I'll pick up a couple homeless guys standing at the corner.
     If there is one complaint I have regarding the school, it is that you don't get to make everything on the menu.  You must vie for what you want to make each day amongst your team mates.  Our team last week was exceedingly harmonious and we were always ahead of the other two teams.  Next week, my team includes the three Musketeers (a trio of young bucks eighteen, nineteen, and twenty one years young).  This should be interesting.  I'll just pretend they're my triplets.






No comments:

Post a Comment