Tuesday, May 6, 2014

It's Just Like Golf!

     Cooking reminds me of golf.  When you are first learning how to use a  knife or swing a golf club, accuracy and consistency are your focus.  Speed (cooking) and distance (golf) will come later.  
finger cot

     If you learn correct hand placement to accurately and consistently cut with the chef/French knife, you should be able to do the same with any other knife.  Similarly, if you learn to swing with one golf club, you can apply the same method to all the other clubs and produce the same results.  Both are easier said than done.  Many of us have multiple finger cots as shown in the photo.  I am painfully but steadily making progress on the golf front.  I hope to accomplish the same with cooking.

     Unlike golf, however, you can loose weight cooking!  I was initially fearful that I may gain weight during culinary school, but so far, I have lost about a pound a week.  I haven't lost weight since going through my divorce.  And that was because I didn't eat for a week.  Not only have I been eating consistently, I have been eating richly.  Foods that I do not typically indulge in have become a daily staple:  clarified butter, chicken with the skin on, whole milk and cream sauces, and did I mention butter?  I suppose if you are on your feet for 5 hours a day as opposed to your seat 8 hours, it will have an impact on your caloric output.  Most days I find myself nodding off at 9pm from sheer physical exhaustion.  I will be more proud of graduating from culinary school than anything I have ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment