Friday, September 12, 2014

Trauma Drama

      It's only been three weeks into this block, and there has already been three injuries.  A student suffered second and third degree burns grabbing a hot pot handle.  Another student snipped the webbing between her index and third finger which barely missed her tendons and required 4 stitches.  And yesterday, while pureeing hot stock in the Vitamix, the liquid exploded burning my skin.  Luckily, it wasn't very extensive and a fellow classmate had the equanimity to procure an ice bath for me to soak my arm, which I very much appreciated.  Poor chef is probably looking forward to the conclusion of this block with us.
     I have enjoyed this chef's laissez-faire teaching style.  It is clear that he has a depth of knowledge that comes only with many years in the industry.  Additionally, he is calm, humorous, and respectful.  He never makes you feel like and idiot.  What I appreciate most about this chef is that he does not blatantly pick favorites.  
     What I have observed with all of the chefs thus far is their level of education.  They are all well read, not just in  the culinary arts but current events, politics, and popular culture.  I have as much respect for them as the medical doctors I worked with in my previous profession.
     Today ends our lovely week in Spain.  Below are some of the dishes we have made thus far.  Our plating has improved to rival that of fine dining restaurants.
Roasted Rack of Lamb with Haricots Vert

Spanish Meatballs in Sherry Sauce

Chorizo Stuffed Pork Tenderloin 

Paella a la Madrilena

Halibut en Paupiette

Spanish Roasted Leg of Lamb

     

No comments:

Post a Comment