Sunday, July 20, 2014

At Last!

     I am finally feeling the groove!  I feel like I belong in culinary school instead of an impostor.  It's actually fun! I look forward to each day now and sleep soundly at night.  Our lectures are a mini history lesson versus strictly a technique lesson.  I still have lots of homework but rather than feeling overwhelmed, I find myself doing extra research out of curiosity.  I still have a lot to learn, but I feel I can get there.  My classmates also seem more relaxed and less confrontational.  Everyone seems to be digging this block.  I credit chef Janet for this change.  She is truly an exceptional educator.  I don't even mind making mistakes, because it's a chance for her to show me how to fix it.  How refreshing.  
     One day I took on more than I could chew and made pecan pie from dough to finish as well as fried catfish.  I stayed busy the entire 4 hours of cooking.  It was bordering on overwhelming; however, I found that day to be the most rewarding.  My tendency is to have such a sense of urgency that I am usually ahead of everyone else.  I then have to wait for the others to catch up so we can all fire to serve at the same time, usually 11:00.  This makes me frustrated because I detest waiting.  I am trying to overcome this flaw, and have been willing myself to slow down and smell the mirepoix.
     Here are a few items of what I have made so far.
Fisherman's Stew/Cioppino


Key Lime Curd and Chantilly Crem on Italian Meringue

Farm to Table Baby Carrots 

Oysters Rockefeller

Indian Fry Bread Taco

Shrimp and Grits

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Empanadas


No comments:

Post a Comment